We went to our first monster truck show this weekend and it was much more fun than I had expected, even more fun than my son expected and he was hyped up for this event. Monster Jam will be back in the Bay Area soon, with a show at Levi’s Stadium on April 11, and of course, the annual event in Oakland with tickets already on sale for February 2016. For those considering going, here is what you need to know:
1. Bring ear protection! We stopped at Hone Depot to buy a box of ear plugs on our way to Oakland. It was the best $2 ever spent because it is LOUD. They do sell ear protection there, but it’s a novelty thing aimed at kids and much more than $2. The guy in front of us tried to use napkins as makeshift ear plugs. I don’t think it worked as well.
2. Arrive early. We got to our seats about 40 minutes before show time and they ran some qualifying races not involving the monster trucks. It was like an opening act at a concert and it was much appreciated. The first part of the show is monster truck racing while the second half is the monster truck freestyle competition – the main event.
3. Make a poster for your favorite truck. Both the timed race and the freestyle winners gave their trophies away to young fans with posters for their trucks. My son said next time he’s bringing a poster…for each of the trucks.
4. Bring the whole family. It’s a very family friendly event and almost everyone had kids with them. The show on Saturday had tickets as low as $15/adult, making it a good value. Paying to be closer is advised. We had seats three or four rows back (the section closest to the pit was closed off for safety) and they were perfect.
5. Check to see if you can bring drinks. We showed up empty handed and were bummed to find bottles of water were $5.
6. Get into it! It was super fun and we each soon found favorites to cheer on and we all cheered and booed depending on judge’s scores in the freestyle. When everyone gets into it, it’s that much more fun.
A monster truck show was not something I ever imagined attending and I agreed to go because I knew my son would love it. He did, saying it was the most awesome show ever, and is already talking about going back next year. It is an electric show with stunts and fireworks and seeing that all through my son’s eyes was the most awesome show ever. I am so glad we went.
Disclosure: Our tickets were provided for free by Feld Entertainment. A review was not required.