Sports Authority is hosting some of the hottest Bay Area professional athletes this Saturday at grand reopening celebrations around the bay to mark the store’s new design. The events planned are awesome, with athlete meet-and-greets and giveaways going on throughout the day, beginning at 8 a.m. tomorrow!
All 18 Bay Area stores have been redesigned with a more intuitive layout and specialty stores for top brands and activities, like yoga and golf.
The athlete appearances scheduled for Saturday at various locations are:
- San Mateo: 49ers Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Dublin: Olympic Gold Medalist and WBA/The Ring Super Middleweight Champion Andre Ward, 11 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- San Francisco: San Francisco Giants Catcher Héctor Sánchez and Lou Seal, 12 –1 p.m.
- Stonestown: San Francisco Giants Outfielder Tyler Colvin and the World Championship Trophies, 12 – 1 p.m.
- Emeryville: San Francisco Giants Infielder Brandon Crawford, 12 – 1 p.m.
- Union City: Olympic Gold Medalist and WBA/The Ring Super Middleweight Champion Andre Ward, 2 – 3:30 p.m.
- Concord: 49ers Running Back Frank Gore, 2 – 3:30 p.m.
- East Palo Alto: 49ers Hall of Famer Ronnie Lott, 2 – 3:30 p.m.
- Stevens Creek: Former San Francisco Giants First Baseman J.T. Snow, 2 – 3:30 p.m.
- San Jose: Former 49ers Running Back Roger Craig, 2 – 3:30 p.m.
- Dublin: Warriors Hall of Famer Mitch Richmond, 2 – 3:30 p.m.
The San Mateo store gets a bonus appearance on Sunday when 49ers Running Back Frank Gore shows up from 2 – 3:30 p.m.
If the athletes aren’t enough, they are giveaways, too, including: the first 250 customers at each store will receive Mystery Bucks that range up to $500 in value and there will be hourly $100 gift card drawings on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Customers will have a chance to win a $500 Sports Authority shopping spree (entry period runs June 28–29), a trip to see the Giants in San Diego, and more! Members of The League, Sports Authority’s loyalty program, will receive a $10 Thank You reward with any purchase on June 28 and 29, valid for use on in-store purchases through July 12.
We’re members of The League, which is free to join, and always helps with discounts and coupons for the never ending supply of gear that is needed with kids who play sports. My son plays five different sports and of course each requires significant equipment that he always seems to be growing out of. Last week we bought him a new baseball backpack and now he points out that he’s outgrown his glove – which is true, the glove the fit this past season is now too small for fall ball. Back to Sports Authority for the new glove, and soon it will be for new cleats because his feet are growing so fast.
The summer is a great time to refresh your gear, mostly because athletic equipment gets a lot of use during the summer, but also because it’s refreshing not to have to hurry out at the last minute to buy whatever piece is missing, too small or broken. We save cleat and clothing purchases for the start of a new season to make sure growth spurts are covered, but other things, like a new lacrosse stick, can be updated at any time. Not to mention, mama needs some new gear, too.